UFO Listing

Monday, April 23, 2018

30 Blocks in 30 Days. . . .today is my day!






When I first saw the call for Carla's blog hop I wasn't going to do it. . . but then I started going through the blocks that she had come up with.  They started my mind working overtime. . . and I had to sign up!


Now, you will have to bear with me a little. . . . the stream of consciousness that I went through was really quite extraordinary, or well, I think it was! 


So, the block I chose, Possibility, (you can find Carla's original tutorial for it here)  reminded me of the pop beads we had played with as kids. 
(Please note: except for the picture of my quilt blocks below all pictures were found by doing an "image" search on the internet.  I just copied and pasted the pictures.  They are not mine but are probably copyrighted by others. Just to get the legal stuff out of the way.)
Here is a picture of some Fisher Price blocks. . . and these are the ones that I remembered:


Fisher-Price Snap Lock Bead Shapes, 12 Colorful Beads


Now, this was during the 1960's (yeah, I am showing my age!). . . . but then I started remembering other things from my child and teen years. . . . and that got me to



Starsky and Hutch (1975)





































Which lead me to think about one of the characters, Huggy Bear, from the show
See the source image


Now, for those of you not familiar with the show, Huggy Bear was a very extravagant character.  That lead me to another extravagant character:


Lafayette from the True Blood series.
See the source image


Thinking about Lafayette and True Blood led me to think about vampires.  That led me back to the 1960's with:



I remember being so antsy on the school bus on the way home because I did not want to miss an episode! 


There was a character on the show, Carolyn Stoddard, that was a real "hip" chick:


See the source image


And all of this lead me to thinking about beaded curtains, that were all the rage "back in the day":


See the source image


And that thought is what led me to the design of my quilt. . . . . I took Possibility and tipped it on it's side, creating a diagonal set, and, viola!  A quilted beaded curtain!



I found this great fabric that looks like wooden boards for the borders of my quilt to really reinforce the curtain look.










I had all the fabrics in my stash (except for the borders). . . . I do not have any details on the exact lines or manufacturers, but the colored fabrics were both from charm packs that I had.  Since I do not usually purchase pre-cuts I must have gotten them as gifts or thank you's for some of the pattern testing that I have done over the years.


The colors just sent my mind back in time so I knew that the bright colors would be perfect for a fabric beaded curtain.


I haven't worked through all of the design decisions yet, but I am thinking that I may try some ruler work for the quilting.  But that means that I need to practice, practice, practice.
So, my quilt is not completed. . . but it is definitely a fun one.


Here is the full listing of the blocks and blogs that they are on:

Date
Project Designer
Block

April 1st

Block 1- 4 Patch
April 2nd

Block 2 - Double Stuffed
April 3rd

April 4th
Block 4 - Dutch Door

April 5th

April 6th
Block 6 - Tacked Up

April 7th
Block 7 - Stripper

April 8th
Block 8 - Staggered

April 9th
Block 9 - Topsy Turvy

April 10th
Block 10 - Chunky Pinwheel

April 11th
Block 11 - Painted WIndow

April 12th
Block 12 - Broken Cinder Block

April 13th
Block 13 - Reaction

April 14th
Block 14 - Median Strip

April 15th
Block 15 - Center of Attention

April 16th

Block 16 - Bounce
April 17th

Block 17 - Sweet Sixteen
April 18th

Block 18 - Yeah Eights
April 19th

Block 19 - Weave
April 20th

Block 20 - Classic
April 21st

Block 21 - Spot
April 22nd

Block 22 - Cross Walk
April 23rd

Block 23 - Opposites Attract
April 24th

Block 24 - Possibility
April 25th

Block 25 - Camper Window
April 26th

Block 26 - Catching Z's
April 27th

Block 27 - Broken Stripes
April 28th

Block 28 - Stockade
April 29th

Block 29 - Dovetail
April 30th


Block 30 - Slow Tee
You should definitely go check all of these out. . . . every one was so creative in their designs!


In peace and pieces,


Sherry








This content was originally posted on the quilt blog Books, Hooks, Sticks, etc. (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com). If you are reading this on any site other than the original or quilterblogs.com it is WITHOUT my permission and the content has been stolen.

25 comments:

Pamela said...

Fun quilt, and I loved the time traveling to come up with the design :)

Sharon Aurora said...

I remember beaded curtains. I hated them! But I love your quilt. It definitely has a "fun" feel to it.

Lisa England said...

Cute! It looks nice and scrappy, which is my favorite kind of quilt.

Susan Earle said...

That is so cool! Will look forward to seeing your finish on this one!

Susan Earle said...

That is so cool! Will look forward to your finish on this one!

Carol said...

I like your design! Very clever use of the block. Thanks for sharing--and good luck with the quilting!

tink's mom said...

I love your path in the creative process. Your outcome was spot on. Looking forward to the finished piece, I know it will be fabulous.

Needled Mom said...

I remember those hanging beads. The blocks definitely bring back those memories.

ShirleyC said...

I love your quilt! Very pretty and well thought out!

https://prayersformymom.blogspot.com/

Carla said...

A great idea to put the block on point. Love your beginnings and can't wait to see the end. Thank you so much for joining us in the 30 Quilt Blocks in 30 Days Blog Hop and Quilt Along. You have shown us a whole different way to use the block and it's fantastic.

Quilting Tangent said...

Flash back.

@lutzcats said...

What a great stash buster! Your quilt looks so happy.

Brenda said...

I love your post with all of its memories! It made me giggle and wander where you were going to go next and I was totally surprised when you revealed the quilt! What a perfect way to use this pattern! Bright shiny bead curtains and your wooden door frame fabric is absolutely perfect!!! Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic quilt and memory walk, oh yeah I show my age also! Have a great day!

Ioleen said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane 😊. Love your thought process and the end result.

Anonymous said...

LOL, yes, my mind wanders all over like that, too! Things segue that shouldn't for a normal person. This was fun to read, and your quilt turned out fabulous. Look forward to see the finished version.

JANET said...

Thanks for the flashback. Love your quilt. It does look like beads!

Rozz01 said...

Clever quilt concept and using scraps is what I would do

Vicki H said...

Reminiscing your way to your quilt design was fun.

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, I remember dreaming of having a beaded curtain in my room--as if my mom would ever have gone for that! I would have been the coolest 2nd grader in school. ;) Thanks for the memory-prompter. I'll be writing my childhood best friend about this, for sure, swapping memories.

Anonymous said...

Fun flashback! Love your quilt!
nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

Cindy Shelley said...

Oh, how this brings back memories. Love your quilt!!

Deonn said...

Hey, that's fun! I like it "en pointe" to make a brand new design. Really groovy, man. Yes, I was a child of the 60's too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilt! You made me laugh by following your train of thought(s) and thank you for the trip down memory lane!

Please click on the delaineelliott above for my email link.

Mary Marcotte said...

I thought I was the queen of going the long way home! Your train of thought is leading to think I may have to give up the crown. That leads me to realize that I should pick up a tiara at the costume store if I'm to send it to you. And that leads me to....
I am a baby of the '60s but I truly do not know all of those characters. Then again, we didn't have television until the mid-70s, so that's my story: I just didn't have access to all of the media of my childhood. And there was so much on ABC, CBS, and NBC!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Ingenious to tip them on their sides! Love the reference to beaded curtains. Brought back memories of how my dorm mates and myself curtained off our sleeping room from our study room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...