UFO Listing

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lots of discussion. . . . . .

There has been lots of discussion lately in blogland about ways of starting & stopping your sewing each time.

Bonnie Hunter has the "Leaders & Enders" thing (which is a variation of the method that I use --- but she gets something out of her excess thread). My method has always been to take a scrap piece of thread & run it through to make sure that the stitches looked good. Then, since I'm easily bored, I just kept using the same scrap pieces (well, there were 2 pieces really -- one to start with & one to end with).

By the time I was ready to "retire" my thread checker it was so thick and covered with thread that you could not tell what the original fabric was.

I'd show you a picture but I can't find my camera. . .thought it was on the kitchen table, but it's not. . .so I'll have to edit this once I get a picture.

I still find it hard to do Bonnie's technique with any regularity. . .it just doesn't work for me; but I use a thread catcher so that I don't get a "bird's nest" of thread on any of the blocks that I want to work with.

Do you use a thread catcher?


In peace and pieces,

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I keep a simple quilt beside me that doesn't require fancy layout or anything. If a little thread needs to be "wasted" from time to time that doesn't bother me, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of seeing a project grow while I'm working on other things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...