The mother of one of my friends passed away a little over a year ago.
While she was not able to get many pieces of clothing from her stepfather she was able to get a couple of the favorite shirts that her mother would wear.
She asked me to try to make something that she could use on the couch as a memory.
Here is what I was able to come up with:
In peace and pieces,
Sherry
This content was originally posted on the quilt blog Books, Hooks, Sticks, etc. (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com). If you are reading this on any site other than the original or quilterblogs.com it is WITHOUT my permission and the content has been stolen.
While she was not able to get many pieces of clothing from her stepfather she was able to get a couple of the favorite shirts that her mother would wear.
She asked me to try to make something that she could use on the couch as a memory.
Here is what I was able to come up with:
Here is another picture of it. There are 9 squares from the shirts; the rest of the pieces are fabrics from my stash.
I am hoping that you can click on the pictures to see that the center row of squares are actually patterned and not just plain as they appear to me while I am writing this.
The shirt that the center squares came from had a decorative bodice on the front. Since there were beads and metal decorations on it I was nervous about putting that into the quilt since I was afraid that I might hit the decorations with the long arm.
So I cut that part out of the shirt, added a couple of borders to make it a good size for an 18" pillow form.
I will be giving these pieces to my friend this weekend. I hope that they bring her some comfort and that she likes what I did.
This was the first time that I had worked on a t-shirt type quilt and, while it was not easy, it was not as difficult as I thought that it was going to be.
In peace and pieces,
Sherry
This content was originally posted on the quilt blog Books, Hooks, Sticks, etc. (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com). If you are reading this on any site other than the original or quilterblogs.com it is WITHOUT my permission and the content has been stolen.
6 comments:
Sherry, those are wonderful pieces which will bring her mother close to her. I think the pillow is a great idea, because she can just hold it and squeeze it. You've done a beautiful job.
I love your pillow idea, too. It will be a nice finishing touch on her couch alongside the quilt. I am certain that she will love both pieces. I have some fabric from my late mom's stash and from clothing that I made for her. Anytime that I pull a piece, I begin thinking of her. It feels comfortable to have some of her things around me. I'm sure your friend will feel the same.
How lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.
Very nice! I'm sure they will be cherished by your friend. Awesome pillow idea.
Using as much as you could is such a sensitive gesture to your friend. She is sure to be pleased with the result and derive much comfort from the quilt and matching cushion.
Very nice. Love your thinking about the piece for the pillow. It's perfect! Memory quilts are so rewarding to make.
Post a Comment