UFO Listing

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What I am reading. . . . .

I have started reading Jennifer Chiaverini's new book, "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker".

I have read all of the Elm Creek Quilters books so I knew going in that I would enjoy the style of writing.  I am enjoying the book. . . . . but the conversations that take place between Elizabeth and Mary don't seem logical.  Yes, Elizabeth was a freewoman (having purchased her freedom and that of her son through her sewing talent); but being, relatively, under educated, I'm having a hard time getting into the "high" language that is used by both characters.

Perhaps part of my problem is having read "The Help" and "seeing and hearing" the way the maids spoke and were spoken to. . . .and that was well after the time of the Civil War. [Cover]
 All in all I am enjoying the book. . . . and I need to read it a bit faster to get it back to the library before the due date.

I am linking up to Judy Laquidara's "Whatcha Reading".

In peace and pieces,
 

1 comment:

straythreads said...

this is on my list I have also read similar book by Ann Rinaldi about Mrs. Lincoln and her dressmaker. Rinaldi writes for young adults but I like the way she researches and identifies at the end of the book what is fact and what is embelished.I've read most of Jennifer Cheaverini's books

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...