I've been hemming and hawwing about starting a new quilt project. . . but then I finally "bit the bullet" and decided to do it.
,
One of the quilt shops that I go to, Pennington Quilt Works, runs a Saturday Sampler every year. It is a year long project that is done one block per month. There is a "start up" payment and if you go to the next meeting with the completed block from the previous month you will get the new block without payment.
I've participated in one or two but never finished them because there wasn't a completed project to view and with some of the fabric choices I couldn't see how the individual blocks would work together.
This year, however, I really thought that it would be fun to push my creative boundaries and signed up to do a quilt using Kaffe Fassett and other Westminster fabrics. It also seemed to be a more masculine design choice that I thought would be nice for Mr. Books.
Here is the "teaser" page that Pennington Quilt Works has on their website:

The block for Kaffe and Friends looks really bold and different. Unfortunately, for me, the completed project seemed very washed out and the blocks did not "pop" from a distance as the one in this picture does.
The shop was accommodating in that they allowed the participants to change their minds about their choice. The Luxe in Bloom was really striking. . . but white is something that I try to avoid with 2 dogs. The French General looked lovely and old-fashioned. . . but I thought it was a little too feminine to use. So, I'm back to my normal color choice. . . . autumn colors; however, I don't usually work with a lot of batiks so this should be fun.
The shop has presented a quilt in each of the fabric choices. . . . but they have said that there will be larger samples that we will be seeing later in the year; I don't know if I will be making a really large quilt so I may stay with the original sample that they showed.
I've cut the fabric for the first block. . . .when I get it completed I'll post a pic.
In peace and pieces,

,
One of the quilt shops that I go to, Pennington Quilt Works, runs a Saturday Sampler every year. It is a year long project that is done one block per month. There is a "start up" payment and if you go to the next meeting with the completed block from the previous month you will get the new block without payment.
I've participated in one or two but never finished them because there wasn't a completed project to view and with some of the fabric choices I couldn't see how the individual blocks would work together.
This year, however, I really thought that it would be fun to push my creative boundaries and signed up to do a quilt using Kaffe Fassett and other Westminster fabrics. It also seemed to be a more masculine design choice that I thought would be nice for Mr. Books.
Here is the "teaser" page that Pennington Quilt Works has on their website:
The block for Kaffe and Friends looks really bold and different. Unfortunately, for me, the completed project seemed very washed out and the blocks did not "pop" from a distance as the one in this picture does.
The shop was accommodating in that they allowed the participants to change their minds about their choice. The Luxe in Bloom was really striking. . . but white is something that I try to avoid with 2 dogs. The French General looked lovely and old-fashioned. . . but I thought it was a little too feminine to use. So, I'm back to my normal color choice. . . . autumn colors; however, I don't usually work with a lot of batiks so this should be fun.
The shop has presented a quilt in each of the fabric choices. . . . but they have said that there will be larger samples that we will be seeing later in the year; I don't know if I will be making a really large quilt so I may stay with the original sample that they showed.
I've cut the fabric for the first block. . . .when I get it completed I'll post a pic.
In peace and pieces,
1 comment:
Several fun options to choose from. My local shop has been running a Saturday Sampler for many years and I've joined in most years. One of the best things they do is host a show n tell the month after we finish. We can bring a completed quilt or just the top. It is really fun. Hope you enjoy this!
Post a Comment