This quilt has been a long time getting done.
The pastor at our last church retired after 50 years on the pulpit about 8 years ago.
As a gift I wanted to make a quilt for him. . . . .enter Mr. Books and his "BIG plan"!
He started telling everyone in the congregation about the quilt project. . . . and they all decided that they wanted to take part in it.
What I had wanted to be something that could be done quick then turned into a "major" project. . . . and Mr. Books is good at "big thoughts" but not so good at "big organization" with quilt projects.
So, I told him that since he wanted to have this massive undertaking I was not going to run it. . . that would be up to him.
Several women from our church made blocks. . . . . and two of those dear ladies have now passed away.
Mr. Books took the quilt blocks to one of our retreats at New Life Island. . . . . and several of those ladies decided to make blocks.
Another retreat (a year later) was required so that the top could be completed.
Then came the 2nd sewer flood. . . . . . . and we thought that the quilt was lost.
Fast forward to a year ago. The quilt top was found. . . . . but it needed a backing and batting. Mr. Books worked on that for a while. Then it was ready to be quilted.
Since we only had a short arm machine at the time I was not in a position to quilt it myself. So we sent the quilt out to be done. It was done beautifully by Memory Lane Quilting in Ohio.
Mr. Books sewed the binding on. . . . but it needed some "touching up" since it was before his surgery and he was having a tough time keeping the quilt and binding straight. I re-sewed the binding to make sure that it would not come off and then hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.
We presented the quilt to our pastor at dinner the other night. . . . . he loved it (and the fact that it represented over 60 years of his life). The restaurant staff were amazed at it. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera so I do not have a picture of him with the quilt.
But. . . . . here are some pictures of it:
This is the best shot that I could get of the entire quilt. . . . it is on a full size bed.
These next pictures are detail shots of the lower edge that you can't see in the above picture:
"Rev" grew up loving cowboy things and he would often talk about Dale Rogers. . . . .so I found the backing fabric:
Our explanation is. . . . well, he is a man of God, but he is still a man. . . . . . .LOL
I am glad that this quilt has finally gone to it's intended home and hope that Rev. gets a lot of use out of it.
In peace and pieces,

This content was originally posted on the quilt blog Books, Hooks, Sticks, etc. (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com). If you are reading this on any site other than the original or quiltblogs.com it is WITHOUT my permission and the content has been stolen.
The pastor at our last church retired after 50 years on the pulpit about 8 years ago.
As a gift I wanted to make a quilt for him. . . . .enter Mr. Books and his "BIG plan"!
He started telling everyone in the congregation about the quilt project. . . . and they all decided that they wanted to take part in it.
What I had wanted to be something that could be done quick then turned into a "major" project. . . . and Mr. Books is good at "big thoughts" but not so good at "big organization" with quilt projects.
So, I told him that since he wanted to have this massive undertaking I was not going to run it. . . that would be up to him.
Several women from our church made blocks. . . . . and two of those dear ladies have now passed away.
Mr. Books took the quilt blocks to one of our retreats at New Life Island. . . . . and several of those ladies decided to make blocks.
Another retreat (a year later) was required so that the top could be completed.
Then came the 2nd sewer flood. . . . . . . and we thought that the quilt was lost.
Fast forward to a year ago. The quilt top was found. . . . . but it needed a backing and batting. Mr. Books worked on that for a while. Then it was ready to be quilted.
Since we only had a short arm machine at the time I was not in a position to quilt it myself. So we sent the quilt out to be done. It was done beautifully by Memory Lane Quilting in Ohio.
Mr. Books sewed the binding on. . . . but it needed some "touching up" since it was before his surgery and he was having a tough time keeping the quilt and binding straight. I re-sewed the binding to make sure that it would not come off and then hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.
We presented the quilt to our pastor at dinner the other night. . . . . he loved it (and the fact that it represented over 60 years of his life). The restaurant staff were amazed at it. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera so I do not have a picture of him with the quilt.
But. . . . . here are some pictures of it:
This is the best shot that I could get of the entire quilt. . . . it is on a full size bed.
These next pictures are detail shots of the lower edge that you can't see in the above picture:
"Rev" grew up loving cowboy things and he would often talk about Dale Rogers. . . . .so I found the backing fabric:
Our explanation is. . . . well, he is a man of God, but he is still a man. . . . . . .LOL
I am glad that this quilt has finally gone to it's intended home and hope that Rev. gets a lot of use out of it.
In peace and pieces,
This content was originally posted on the quilt blog Books, Hooks, Sticks, etc. (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com). If you are reading this on any site other than the original or quiltblogs.com it is WITHOUT my permission and the content has been stolen.
2 comments:
What a Great story, and such a meaningful quilt!
A great story indeed. Your quilt turned out really nice and I don't see anything wrong with the backing. It is not vulgar and goes well with the theme of the quilt.
Post a Comment