UFO Listing

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I'm gonna start Busting some Stash!!!

I read Judy L's blog (Sunshine Quilts) quite regularly. . . and have decided that her "call to arms" regarding stash reduction has really hit home.

As I may have mentioned, I am still relatively newly wed (we just celebrated our 2nd anniversary). . . and the house we live in was the house that I bought 10 years ago.

When I was living by myself the fact that I had 1/2 of the basement full of fabric, thread, yarn, hooks, needles, pins, patterns, books (both reading & project) did not concern me.

When I started dating my husband it was necessary to start "tidying up" a bit more (meaning that I wasn't leaving WIPS and WHIMMS all over the house so that I could pick up whatever project called to me at any one point in time).

After the wedding it came time to move his stuff into the house. . . and I knew that we were going to have a problem.

He has not only his possessions, but those from several deceased aunts & uncles that he just cannot bear to part with (including 6 big plastic tote boxes full of rocks, stones, quartz, etc. --- these, at least, are sitting on the patios outside)!!!

After reading Judy's entry about her stash I decided that I was not going to keep asking him to put his stuff away. . . . I was going to take "the bull by the horns" so to speak and tell him that I fully expect to have our home "company ready" (for upstairs) and "quilting studio" (ready for the basement) in 3 months.

He has agreed, in theory, to do this. . . . time will tell how much of his stuff ends up getting stored in the travel trailer while he is deciding what to do with it.

My main reason (besides the usual--- the house looks terrible) is that my sister will be celebrating her 6th (or is it 7th) wedding anniversary in May 2008. . . and I still have not finished the DWR variation quilt that was to be her wedding gift.

I have more kits & partial projects going than I care to mention. . . and that will be my first battle. . . .well, that & not running to Joann's with a coupon to buy yet another pair of fabric scissors since I can't find the 12 pair that I have in the house!!!

I look forward to being able to post weekly progress reports. . . .and willingly accept any "finger wagging" from my fellow challenge members that I may deserve.

But right now I have to get to the bank before they close. . . .gee, maybe I'll be brave enough to show pictures of the "dump site" also known as my basement in its current state????

In peace & pieces,

Sherry

2 comments:

Judy L. said...

Show us your pictures! At least if you're not going to show us, take some pix for yourself so you can go back and see the improvement weekly.

Thanks for joining this and good luck getting the upstairs "company ready" and the downstairs "studio ready". I like that idea!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Good luck on your stash busting efforts! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I hope some of your inspiration rubs off on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...