UFO Listing

Monday, January 28, 2008

The Basement!!

Ok, since the contest for the messiest sewing area has finished I will venture to show you all what my stash consists of!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. . . . . .


Scroll down further AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! roflol


This is my sewing area. . . .yes, it needs to get cleared up again, but it has been set up and it does work for me.



The shelves & tote boxes that you see beyond where the sewing machine is set up (yes, I have a SewEzi table [it's really supposed to be my husband's, but I've taken it over] and I love working with it) contain my stash. . . of fabric, some yarn (not nearly as much as I thought I had), plus kits, and supplies (thread, bobbins, pins, scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, etc., etc., etc.


If you need to see them closer here goes:




Now to be honest, the side where there are most of the copy paper boxes is where the stash is (not counting the plastic totes) and on the other side is mostly storage of knick knacks, over flow/low use kitchen appliances, decorative plates, etc. But I don't have to go to the store for ANY fabric for a very long time as long as doing scrappy things works. (Which will since that what I like to do).

Now, if you are still with me. . . . . .here's the latest dilemma I have. . . .do I work on the fabric stash by making up, or using patterns --- OR --- do I work the kits first in order to get those boxes finished??? I don't want to run "willy nilly" all over the place, because that is part of why I got into this mess to begin with!! LOL

Ok, they say confession is good for the soul. . . .I'm ready for CONSTRUCTIVE comments.

Have a wonderful day,

Sherry

5 comments:

swooze said...

Without looking make a list of 4 or 5 things that you remember that you really want to make and start there. Do top 10 if you like. Then stick to the list.

Tracey in CT said...

Sherry, I'll be watching to see if ou get some good comments because I need the same sort of guidance! I do like the idea Swooze gave you, but I also like the idea of Bonnie's scrap saver system on Quiltville.com where you cut scraps and smallish pieces into the most common sizes of strips, squares and rectangles so that you can just grab what you need to start a project.

Nana's Quilts said...

I think I might be heading in the same direction as Swooze - I'd say start with something that you know you can finish quickly - like maybe something that is half done already. For the the reinforcement of completion causes me to get on with more completion, etc, etc. I can have one or two things I'm working on, a bit at a time, but do need to finish up completely or tend to put things away for some other time and that time never comes.

Anyway - you get great things done, so who cares if it is a "tad bit" disorganized. :-)
Marne

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

I have been thinking a bit on your question as it applies to myself as well. I think that if you are using the materials that you already have then it is okay. Follow you heart a bit and make things that you want to make rather than concentrating on just the 'using' idea. Also maybe the first few projects should be smaller achievable ones so that you get a sense of finishing. Perhaps making a kit is a way to start as you don't have to think too much about choices, then you can raid your stash for the backing. I think swooze's suggestion is a good one - I just want to repeat - keep it enjoyable and fun and if it is coming from what you already have then it is all good.

Passionate Quilter said...

Sherry--I think this is the age old quilter's problem! LOL I'm doing the same thing--I have so many UFO's, etc. that I'm working on those diligently and using the stash for backings/bindings, etc. I haven't decided when I'm going to allow myself a chance to work on something new from stash--but I am making myself get the UFO's done. Why don't you set yourself a reward system? Do one or two kits (or whatever you feel like) before you can start something new? I do think we need to reward ourselves or we'd get discouraged that we could never work on anything new again! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...