It has been a week since we brought her home and except for a few "piddle" accidents everything seems to be fine.
We had taken her to the vet Monday evening and she has a respiratory infection so we have been giving her antibiotics and Benedryl (sp?) for her stuffy/runny nose. It has been a bit tough because she won't eat cheese or peanut butter (which worked wonders with Bogart) or dog treats so I have been having to put the pills down her throat. . . which is not pleasant for me or for her.
However, based on a suggestion from a co-worker (thank you Carol) last night we tried liverwurst wrapped around the pills. She gobbled them right down. So now there is no more pill anxiety in the household.
After a week of being on the meds her nose is much better. . .she is breathing much better. And the antibiotics must be working because she is running around & is much more active than when she first came home.
The adjustment has been very hard for me. . . . guess I wasn't as ready as Steve was to get another dog. I still cry for Bogart everyday and find that I am very easily frustrated with Casey. . . .but I guess everything will work out in the end.
Steve absolutely loves her. . . . and I think the feeling is mutual since she barks when he leaves and waits at the gate to see if he will be coming back.
I'll post additional pictures as I get them.
In peace and pieces,
1 comment:
Pill Pockets... that's what they are called... soft mushy yummy smelling things. Come in different sizes to cover different size pills. I've gotten them at PetCo or PetSmart before.
My smaller lab mix is easy to give pills everyday... I wet the pill open her mouth and drop it in the back and hold her head up until I'm sure she swallowed.
The Malamute/Shepherd mix thankfully doesn't need daily meds - but when she does she gets the pill pockets as she doesn't like me opening her mouth... and since her teeth are much bigger than mine - I don't argue with her.
Post a Comment