UFO Listing

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stash and Damage Report -- February 8, 2009

The numbers are the same as they were last week. . . .but they will be going up.

My nephew absolutely is nuts for Spiderman. I found a panel & yardage on eBay & had to get it. The panel is a yard & I believe the yardage is about 3 yards. . so I will be adding 4 more yards to my stash.

BUT, I had planned to make a sofa throw for him with the panel & part of the fabric & since it won't be too involved I figured I would be able to get it "in and out" of the stash so fast no one would notice.

Sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

Why, well, a little thing called a sewage line back-up.

Right into our basement.

I noticed water coming up from the laundry room yesterday around 12:30PM. . .called DH, who was 45 minutes away helping out a friend, to tell him that we had a toilet overflow but I had shut the water to the toilet off & had towels down to try to stop it from spreading.

He gets home, goes downstairs & now we both smell sewer. . our toilet is completely dry on the top & sides. . our seal broke from the pressure of the blockage & we have sewer water coming in.

We started hauling stuff out of the laundry roon as quickly as we could. . .it either went into a plastic tub, or on top of a plastic tub. . anything we could do to get it away from the water.

And the water just kept coming in. And the smell came with it. It was so bad that we ended up having to spend last night at a hotel (it was a good thing that we found a pet friendly hotel not far from where we live).

DH has started the clean up. . .he's already gone through 4 wet/vac containers (and that doesn't include the water that was in the 12 towels I threw down at the first sight of water). . .after the water is gone we will have to access the damage & start bleaching everything to kill the bacteria.

I just hope that I can get the insurance company to move quickly. . .the expenses are starting to add up what with renting a POD unit, bleach & cleaning supplies, and seeing what we can salvage.

This was not the way I had planned on starting my week!


In peace and pieces,

7 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh Sherry I feel for you. This happened to my Aunt and Uncle and the city was at fault. What the city didn't cover their insurance covered. Hope the rest of the week is better.

Brenda said...

We had this happen last March!! Not the smell, but it was sewer water all through the basement!! If your insurance people are like our people - they will have someone in there right away to do the clean up. And, that is about it..... I hope your people will be alot better than ours. Oh it's such a mess to have this happen. I feel for you. And, eventually, we will have a useable bathroom in the basement again...... I hope your repairs go quickly and smoothly!!
And when it gets to be to much, go stash bust!! :-)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Sherry...we had sewage too in our basement but due to the lift pump failing. we had our basement professionally cleaned and it was $$$. we were lucky that the water softener didn't regenerate or the whole basement would have been ruined!

Don't worry about the stashbusting! The numbers start adding up once the quilts are finished! :)

Hope *things* get better.

tami said...

Oh man, that is a huge bummer. I hope things get worked out quickly and you can get back to sewing soon.

Lori in South Dakota said...

now that is DEPRESSING! Hope everything is under control and you get back to normal soon.

Debby Brown said...

ewwwwww! Unfortunately, I've been in a similar situation.

When this is all over, you definitely deserve some dedicated sewing time. Be kind to yourself.

Donna said...

I feel for you! I hope everything is back to normal soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...